What does “Same and Similar” mean when it comes to DME, specifically regarding Ankle Foot Orthoses, aka AFOs?
- • Prior to providing a new item, and to gain the necessary information required (has there been a change in beneficiary's medical condition that supports need for a different type of similar item or if it has been lost, stolen, or irreparably damaged) to determine whether an Advance Beneficiary Notice of Non-coverage (ABN) should be obtained or not, it is best to:
- • Verify that a beneficiary has/has not had a same or similar item
- If he/she has not, bill claim without ABN (no ABN is necessary)
- If he/she has, determine if item has reached its specific reasonable useful lifetime (RUL). For AFOs, it is 5 years.
- If it has, bill claim without ABN (no ABN is necessary)
- If it has not, obtain an ABN and bill claim with applicable modifier
- • Verification options include:
1. Ask beneficiary
2. Check via CGS Administrators, LLC Interactive Voice Response (IVR) or
3. Check via Noridian Healthcare Administrators, LLC Interactive Voice Response IVR
4. Access such information within CGS Administrators, LLC Medicare Portal or Noridian Healthcare Administrators, LLC Medicare Portal
- • The list is NOT all inclusive and that while every effort is made to keep it current, there may be relationships that might trigger a denial that are not listed.
Same or Similar Chart
AFO/KAFO O&P (Orthotics and Prosthetics)
L1900, L1902, L1904, L1906, L1907, L1910, L1920, L1930, L1932, L1940, L1945, L1950, L1951, L1960, L1970, L1971, L1980, L1990, L2000, L2005, L2010, L2020, L2030, L2034, L2035, L2036, L2037, L2038, L2106, L2108, L2112, L2114, L2116, L2126, L2128, L2132, L2134, L2136, L4350, L4360, L4361, L4370, L4386, L4387, L4396, L4397, L4398, L4631
This is my opinion.
Michael G. Warshaw
THE 2022 Podiatry Coding Manual is now available in either Book or Flashdrive formats. It has been completely updated including the E/M coding changes. Many offices across the country consider this to be their “Bible” when it comes to coding, billing and documentation. The price is still only $125 including shipping! To purchase, access the website drmikethecoder.com.
No credit card? No problem! Just send a check for $125 to the following address:
Dr. Michael G. Warshaw
2027 Bayside Avenue
Mount Dora, FL 32757
Are you in compliance with Medicare concerning your billing, coding and documentation? An audit should never be more than an inconvenience. It should not be a life altering event. Find out your status before you are audited by your Medicare carrier. Drmikethecoder special: Have 5 dates of service audited for $250 (new clients only). Contact drmikethecoder.com for more information.