Confidentiality means that the patient information is not available or disclosed to unauthorized persons.
When the confidentiality of patient records are compromised this constitutes a Breach of Patient information. When you have a breach, you are required to:
- Notify each patient involved about the breach and tell them:
- What happened
- How it happened
- What information was disclosed
- What you are doing to mitigate the impact of the breach.
- Notify the Federal Government about the breach, which may result in a Federal Investigation of your office. Breaches that involve over 500 patients are published by the government [ https://ocrportal.hhs.gov/ocr/breach/breach_report.jsf ]
- Take steps to protect the patients involved this may involve providing each patient with credit monitoring